Did you know that up to 60% of your body is made up of water? If our bodies are made up of that much water, then why aren’t we drinking enough of it? Water is the key to sustaining our lives, our health and our well-being. If drinking enough water is challenging for you, you’re not alone. I, too, find it difficult to keep drinking water throughout the day, and sometimes I only guzzle down a bottle of water when I’m already extremely parched. But, whenever I follow these simple steps, drinking enough water becomes much easier for me. Before we go into the 8 ways to drink more water, I’ll answer a few commonly asked questions.
How much water should we be drinking each day?
Well, there are many opinions and ideas out there about how much water we should drink per day. Some people swear by the 8×8 rule, which simply means that we should have an 8 oz glass 8 times a day. Others say we should just have 64 oz, it doesn’t matter how we divide it. Some say we should drink ⅔ of our body weight in ounces.
However, what’s most important is that you pay attention to your thirst and drink constantly throughout the day. Your body is great at letting you know when you need to replenish with more water. Be sure not to ignore warning signs. Don’t ignore your thirst. Have a glass of water as soon as you feel thirsty.
What happens if you don’t drink enough water?
According to Healthline, not drinking enough water can lead to a wide variety of health problems including:
- Loss of energy
- Lack of concentration and poor mood
- Higher frequency of headaches
- Reduced endurance
- Increased hunger
- Low metabolism
Here are some of the signs of dehydration you should be looking out for:
- Dark colored urine
- Extremely dry skin
- Rapid heartbeat
- Sleepiness, lack of energy
- Sunken skin
Related: 5 Incredible Health Benefits of Peppermint Tea
Here are 8 simple ways you can drink more water this summer
- Get a reusable water bottle – A reusable water bottle is great because you can take it with you and refill as necessary so that you’re never out of water. I have a Swell water bottle that keeps liquids cold for 24 hours and hot for 12 hours.
- Set an alarm on your phone – Set an alarm on your phone to go off every two hours throughout the day. Then, drink water when your alarm goes off. If you work in an office or somewhere you need to be discreet, consider getting a smart watch and setting a vibration alarm on your watch.
- Track your intake in an app – There are many wonderful health and fitness apps out there that you can use to set goals for your water intake. You’ll set the amount of water you want to drink each day in the app and track all mini milestones up to your goal. The LifeSum app is a great way to not only track water intake, but also food and exercise goals. Plus, it’s completely free to use!
- Drink a glass of water before every meal – An easy way to remember to drink enough water is by drinking a glass before each meal, including snacks.
- Infuse your water with your favorite fruit – This is probably my favorite tip. I love infused water. You can do this by simply cutting up some fruit and throwing it into your water bottle. For an even better flavor, add some mint to the fruit.
- Have a glass of water just after waking up and right before going to bed – A glass of water in the morning is a great way to help wake you up and get you ready to start your day. Chances are you get dehydrated throughout the night, so drinking a glass before bed is a great idea too.
- Drink sparkling water – I won’t ever use this tip because I strongly dislike sparkling water but I know a lot of people love it. If you love it, try drinking more sparkling water. It’s a great way to get more water in your diet and enjoy the fizzy taste you love.
- Be sure to refill your water bottle each time you drink – This one is probably self explanatory but when you refill after each drink, you’ll have an incentive to keep drinking since your water bottle is always full.
Drinking water is extremely important for your health, especially in the summer. Don’t take for granted what hydration can do for you. Use these tips to help you stay hydrated all summer long!
Leave a Reply